Wednesday, September 7, 2011

'God's Will'

A little while ago at church we went through a series on Divine Guidance looking at What is 'God's Will'?, Why is Decision Making so Hard?!?, and A Guide to Godly Decision Making. I was reflecting on what was spoken about during this time and a previous blog and thought that I should clarify or correct something which I had said in case it is taken the wrong way.

On June 14 of this year in Gods Guidance I wrote the following in the last paragraph.
'Who better to turn to when we have questions, are in grief, or are so relieved, happy, or joyful about something? I know God has something planned for me to do and in His time this will be revealed to me but for now it is best to do what you can while that time is still on its way. I'm waiting for that time but in this waiting, it is a preparation time and God is teaching me many things.'
God's will for us is quite simple and is given to us in the bible. That we live godly lives. This first means that we know Him and are in Christ.
'And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have everlasting life; and I will raise him up at the last day.' (John 6:40)
Then the question beckons, what does it mean to live a godly life? Is a missionary more godly than the old lady cleaning up after church, or a pastor more godly than those they serve? Based on their positions, the answer is no. Godliness as we read in the bible does not depend on what you do, but how you act. It is to do with our character, the motives behind what we do.

Paul tells the Colossians to
'put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, longsuffering; bearing with one another, and forgiving one another... but above all these things put on love' -3:12-14

And in his second letter to Timothy to
'Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.' -2:22

This is not to say that God does not also have a personal plan for each of our lives, he does! We read in Psalm 139 (1-4, 16)
'O Lord, you have searched me and known me! 
You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. 
You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.  
Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether...  
Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was  none of them.'

God knows us personally, intimately, even before we ever know ourselves! And he has a plan for us but the wonderful thing is that we don't need to know what it is, and we can't stuff it up, no matter what! Even if we knew it, we couldln't stuff it up. When making decisions don't assume that one path is the one that God wants you to go on and the other is against God. Most of the decisions we agonise over are those where both paths are for God.. just choose one!

This brings me to the other point I wanted to make in response to what I wrote. God reveals things to us over time but everything we need to know he reveals to us through His word, the Bible. In the Old Testament we read of how God appeared to Noah, Moses and Abraham and told them what to do, and in the New Testament how he appeared to Saul. We read this and ask for the same thing, 'God, tell us what to do?' If we really read these stories though we will notice that these are the exceptions, not the norm. And they were not asking God to tell them what to do, in fact, most of the time it was quite unwelcome - they didn't want it, although they followed once it was given.

God reveals things to us through His word. The more we read, the more we spend time with God, the more we get to know Him and His character and are able to make decisions which align themselves with what we know of God. I find that most of the time I see things which have been revealed to me and the way God is helping me to make decisions and direct my life, after they have already happened. There is something to be said about looking back, and considering how God has lead you to where you are now.. just be sure not to dwell on the past.

So, this weeks question is what is something that you have learnt of God Character?

Coming up: a look at 'Personal Symbolism'

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment