Monday, February 27, 2012

Those Special Moments

You know those moments that you have that are so profound or life altering at the time that you know you'll never forget them. I'm talking about things like you're earliest memory, or the first bone you broke, your wedding, first loved one who died, childs first steps.

For me - my ealiest memory many people don't believe because it's from when I was just 7 months old - my first steps. The first (and only so far) bone I broke was my collar bone from a mountain bike accident on a school camp. First loved one who died was my nanna when I was two - I don't remember this but I do remember feeling that something was missing. Next person I remember having a fair impact on my by dying was my grandfather.

It is in these moments, looking back on them, I thank God for the blessings which he gives us, the life which is abounding around us, for the memories I have of the people who have gone and the lives they've lived. I find that those memories which are the most dear to me are of people, of relationships, of life - of love. It is only because of how God made us, in His image, that we are able to have such memories, to know such love - and the greatest love of all is that of God.

I have another such memory to add to my repotoire but while it will definitely stick with me for a little while I do not know if it will stay. Just yesterday I was involved in an accident which given its nature, and going by any statistics of such things, I should not still be here - or if I am I should at least have some severe injuries. I have walked away from this without a mark - praise be to God. Just before, during, and afterwards I was praying to God, not for myself, but for those around me. I was on my way to give a sermon on Lent, it's origin, and the things we face each day which try to separate us from God. My prayers as this was happening continued to be for those around me, while also inwardly screaming God save me, before it had ended I found myself turning back from that saying God, I want to live, but I know your plans are much greater than mine - bring about your will and not mine if it is not yours also.

Lent is about a heightened awareness of just who God is and what He has done for us - it is a preparation to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Son of God - it is a time to remind us of our sinfulness and our undeservedness of all that God has done for us in His love for us. Many people give up something which is causing a separation of themselves and God that they might come to spend more time with Him and know him more. What I have found is that we need to be thankful for all that we have and not only having those times which we spend time specifically with Him but be consciously with Him every single moment of the day.

The moments that we look back on and remember - I want to be remembering the God that allowed me to have such memories and such moments along with each one of those memories - because He is the one who was able to show us just what love is, and the one whom is always with us, the one relationship which I value above any other, making each and every moment of my life one worth remembering.

What moments in life do you remember, or would like to share, and which are you looking forward to remembering in time to come?

No comments:

Post a Comment