Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Joy of Work

It appears I am late in posting, yet again. I apologise, I had not realized it had been so long already.

I don't know about you but I find work quite a strange thing to think about. It is something which is met with such a variety of mixed emotions. It is something I look forward to while also dreading. Something I enjoy while also something I find quite despiriting. Something I wish would last longer and something I cannot wait for it to finish. Work is a strange thing.

This left me to ask the question of just why this is, and I found myself thinking a number of things. How much of our enjoyment of work is due to the work itself and how much is from the motivation behind it (ie. a pay packet)? And how much of our dread is because of the stress involved with our workplace rather than the work itself? When I'm finding work particuarly hard or long I start to think of it not in how long is left but rather, okay, today is paying for my rent, tomorrow is paying for my fuel, etc. Changing my motivation to something more tangible than money in my bank.

Money itself brings no pleasure as many people sometimes think it does, but having a large bank account doesn't make you any more happy than having a small bank account - it is the other things in life which surround you - and how you use what you have. But I'm getting a little off track.

In the bible we are told that we are made in the image of God... wow!... and that we were created to work. So work should be something which we do - and enjoy. However we are also told that we should take time off from work to spend quality time with God. So, we're NOT meant to work all the time. This is something which some others do as well, they forget about everything else and only work - that's not what we were created to do. We were created to be in relationship - with God and others, just as God is also in relationship - with himself (trinity) and us.

That time off from work is one of the most important times - as long as we use it correctly. Using that time not to just mope around home and hibernate (don't get me wrong, spending time to yourself is important too, but not all the time) but get out and spending that time with others - even if we do feel tired and worn out, we'll feel better for it in the long run. And making sure you spend that quality time with God, for He is our real life force, not anything which we do ourselves.

So, work is a joy for me. And it should be a joy for others as well, no matter what you are doing - but any work is made so much more joyful if you are doing it not only for yourselves and your employers but also for God, the one who made us in His image and gave us the role to work.

Any Questions??? Just comment!

God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment