Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reality of Past, Present, and Future

Recently, each afternoon I have been spending my time by sitting at a table with people from 4 or more different countries and speaking English. For me, this comes naturally as it is my mother tongue, but for others, not so easiliy - but sometimes I definitely wonder if maybe they know more about my language than I do. If nothing else, it has made me more aware of the words I use to express myself and also, at times, more thoughtful of philosophical.
 
For example, some words which came up yesterday were fade, forward, and ahead. Colours fade, fashions fade, seasons fade, memory fades. So many things just slowly start to fade away. In a year from now, how much will I remember of the past 5 weeks, which have been so amazing and encouraging in many different ways, not least of which is the people which have been met and come to know. Whenever I think of moving forward, and what is ahead of me, also the thoughts come of what is behind me which is so good sometimes that it is sad to think that our motion is forwards and not backwards, we will never see those times again - maybe similar times in the future though. It is also sad to think that maybe memory will fade and we will not remember those times. What is ahead is unknown - and what is unknown can be awfully frightening sometimes. Moving towards the unknown - this is what a forward momentum towards what is ahead gives you.
 
On the upside though I know some things which will never fade - like the love of God, and his faithfulness, mercy, and grace. I know that I will never be alone as He will always be at my side. I know that I will never lose some things from my past like the lessons one learns as a young child from their parents. I know that while what is ahead is unknown I am not alone in facing it, which makes it an adventure - one to be taken hold of with both hands, and that it is a privilege to be able to move forwards and seek improvement not only in the world around us but also in ourselves - I look forward to each day and the opportunity to come to know God more.
 
So lets not dwell on what will fade but be excited on what we know never will. And lets be unafraid of moving forward or looking ahead for the Lord has been there before us and with Him at ones side it is a privilege, an opportunity, and an adventure.
 
Thankyou Lord
 
God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment