Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Waiters in my Head

Of recent, my mind has been a little bit all over the place, making it difficult to pin down any one thought, or point, to share with you all on here. I'm sure over the next month as I unjumble my brains a little you'll hear about some of the things which are stuck there.
 
Our brains are funny things, our thoughts and memories. Some things which I wish would stay zoom right through - in one ear and out the other - barely even leaving a wake behind them. Other things which I wish would go, have taken up permanent residence and continue to every now and again nudge some part my head to make sure that they will never be forgotten, to remind you that they're there. Then there's others again which have just come for a short time, like they're visiting some of the other thoughts in your head, before passing on. And I just thought of another, the sly guest who comes and then hides away and doesn't say or do anything for such a long time you don't even know they're there until one day a long time later they decide that it's time to come out of hiding. Sometimes they join the permanent residents, and other times they make friends with the leaving thoughts and decide to move on with them (they will often return for visits at irregular times though).
 
And don't even get me started on emotions. They're like the ones who are catering to these others and it often depends entirely on just how well they are being treated by the guests to how they will react - and of course just which one is currently on duty, and which one is off. Personally I'd like to think that Happy is a full time worker, while say Nervous has a little part time work, and Angry only picks up the occasional holiday shift which is available.
 
With so much going on up there on the social side of things I sometimes wonder how it manages to get business done - telling my fingers where to go next to type this message for you all to read. But it does, and I don't know about you, but I am very grateful.
 
Sometimes I wish I was more like my brain, and a little less like a muttering stream. My brain can somehow manage to do so much at the same time, getting everything done, and done well. A muttering stream is moving along but never quite in the same direction moving from one way to another, constantly churning a little but never enough to say it's bubbling, and definitly not enough to call it a rapid. A muttering stream is not sure just what it is and serves no great purpose - it should simply decide, stop muttering, and make itself heard - either as a gentle murmur constantly in the background to help provide an idyllic and calming atmosphere or as one shouting from the front lines ready for action and adventure. Yes, sometimes I wish I was a little more like my brain.
 
While what I say here is true, when it comes down to it, I am very thankful that God has made me the way I am, and in time (I'm just not sure when that time will be) I will move on from being a muttering stream to something more discernable.... or at least I think I will.
 
God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment