Saturday, January 29, 2011

Getting There!

Tuesday:



Finished Packing. Now you know how I pack.. well, I had way too much for flying over so had to try to cut down what I had to even less.. managed to downsize by 6kg but that was as far as it was going.. the rest of the excess weight I would just have to pay for. Left Coonalpyn for Adelaide.


Wednesday:


Woke up 4:30am to get to airport and catch plane to Brisbane. Arrived in Brisbane, looking forward to my day around 8am local time. It was a good day except for my bags.. two of them broke to some extent. The first split along the top which I managed to gaffa tape up.. until it split on the other side, finally fixed that up good enough with a couple of luggage straps from a cheap shop. The other bag the wheel broke.. now this was my heavy bag which I then had to carry with me everywhere around Brisbane. Watched Tangled, was good. Caught public transport to my friends place. Not a huge fan of public transport in a place I don’t know.. managed to get the right bus but missed my stop. Had an extra hour of waiting in order to catch the same bus back to the right stop and then the right bus to my friends place. Got there, caught up, chatted, was all good.


Thursday:


Woke up 4:30am to catch public transport to airport for 9am flight. Noticed bruising starting to come through from pulling my muscles carrying bag around yesterday. Got there with no further hassles as I had Wednesday. Plane had a total of 36 passenger seats for an idea of size. We were flying at a slightly lower altitude than normal and turbulence wasn’t bad at all. It was good having the opportunity to see the lay of the land where I would be living for the remainder of this year. I got off at Windorah, which was stop 4 or 5, just past 1pm. Here I was met by their niece who then took me back to Windorah. Spent the afternoon hanging around the pub (her parents run it) and chatting with her and two irish girls who are working there at the moment. Went for a swim in the creek for a bit too. Finally met the people I’m working for that evening around 7 or 8 when they came in for dinner, and to pick me up. That night there was an awesome storm that blew in. Thunder and lightning all the way around lasting for hours. Short lived heavy rain and small hurricane strength winds. Went storm chasing with them for a little while too. I’ll tell you what, it was a great welcome for me to the place. Anyway, due to the circumstances ended up staying in town for the night at the motel. Oh yeah, the boys are gorgeous.


Friday:


So, after a slow start, finally headed out to Keeroongooloo. It took about 1 ½ hours, 2 cars, and wet pants. Can’t drive across the creek at one point still so had to leave the car and walk across about 500m of creek (up to my hips in some places) and then jump in another car left on the other side. Got a quick tour.. our place, your hut, kitchen, school room.. there’s other building around as well but I don’t know what they all are yet. Oh yeah, I have my own place, my hut as they call it.. got a verandah, bedroom, spare room, bathroom, and ‘lounge’ room. It’s not much but considering I had no idea what I was getting I think it’s great!



My 'Hut'

So, what else.. There 5 fella’s here at the moment working, at least one more coming that I know of, and the cook.. a 70 year old lady whom I hear is lovely. The heat is stifling but I don’t mind that too much, and there’s air-conditioning.. thank goodness! I caught a mouse as it jumped out of an air conditioner when I first got here.. it bit me but then I got revenge.. not that revenge is a good thing. I found a frog in the toilet bowl.. after I’d used it.. I was extremely grateful it didn’t jump. Mentioning frogs, there’s plenty of them here, along with mice, lizards, and spiders.. but mainly it’s the frogs which are visible and annoying.

Excitement plus, hey! God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment