Thursday, January 31, 2013

the lost

Recently I received something back which I had lost by leaving it behind. Some of you will know the story behind this, and some of you will not - but that does not matter.
 
I was contemplating this when I started thinking about lost things in general, and then more specifically what can we lose and not ever get back?
 
I thought of a few things and you can comment and name some of them if you like, but the one I got stuck on was innocence. I contemplated ignorance but then thought, no, people can still choose to be ignorant even if they know better. Innocence in the sense of someone being protected from certain things by simply not knowing - examples which come to mind are mainly negative ones like homelessness, drugs, and abuse just to name a few.
 
From here though I started to think about what innocence means, what does it mean to be innocent? I thought about the court room kind of definition which means to be found not guilty. I thought on though, that really innocent should mean to be completely without fault, not just 'not guilty', but perfect.
 
My mind continued to turn, but nobody is perfect, so nobody is innocent. We are all born inherently sinful, caring more for ourselves than anybody else. How then can we know what it means to be innocent, perfect?
 
At this point I stopped thinking, because I already know the answer, it is written on my heart. I ask you though, do you know the answer?
 
And if you don't, does that mean that you're lost too?

No comments:

Post a Comment